Friday, April 16, 2010

Warre Hive

Well, the bees were supposed to come today, but alas one more delay.  This morning they told us they will be mailed on the 19.. so three more days.  So close we can taste honey!  So of course I will be documenting the event in photos, and since I still haven't told you much about the Warre hive, I'll dedicate this blog to that topic.  First I guess I should explain that after our failure to get bees last year, we are ordering 2 colonies instead of one, therefore we needed another hive.  We decided to try the other kind just to see which one we liked better.


The Warre hive is also a top bar hive, meaning no frames.  We got plans for this hive online also, so built it to spec, but this hive is vertical, rather than horizontal like the other one, so has more in common with traditional Langstroth hives.  The bottom box is the brood box, the next box up is for the bee honey stores.  Then the top two will be for harvesting.  And finally a roof for the hive.  We can make more if that is necessary.

I post a few more photos so you can get the idea..

We also got chickens last Friday, boy they are growing fast.  No coop yet, but I'm keeping the discussion of our chicken adventures over on our Alpaca blog.. so many blogs, so little time!


1 comment:

  1. Good deal! I'll make you some granola when I can get my hands on some of your homegrown honey. I bet it will be wonderful! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete